Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Dad's Birthday

Yesterday was my dad's birthday. We started the celebrations on Sunday with Grandma over for dinner. Mom and I baked Dad a chunky apple caramel cake from scratch. Not your normal birthday cake but it was very yummy.



We stuck candles in one piece and sang to my dad. He wanted his picture taken by a nice backdrop so here he is standing in front of the fire place.
Very excited dad
 

Then on Monday for his actual birthday we discovered a new restaurant to try out. It's called Hush Puppy, all southern cuisine.
Dad served a church mission in the deep south back in the 70's. So it was a real treat to go and eat southern food for his birthday. And we found out what a hush puppy was.
They are little balls of cornbread deep fried. And the reason they are called hush puppies is if your dog is barking begging for food, you throw one of these corn balls at them and they will "hush". They were very good.
A very happy birthday boy
I ordered the Big Bayou Platter. It had battered catfish, broiled shrimp, fried oysters (these were kind of weird, they looked like little brains), and some yummy Alligator tails fried. The alligator tasted like...um...not really chicken...so I guess it tasted like alligator.

All of the food was very good. I think we will be going back again. We took most of our food home.

Smiles all around
 


















I think Dad had a good birthday. After dinner we ended the night watching Young Sherlock Holmes and Face-timing with my other brother's family. Dad was happy. Here's to many more birthdays.

1 comment: