Sunday, August 31, 2014

Keeping Track of Birthdays

So the past couple of weeks I have been feeling pretty arts and crafty. So I decided to try my hand at making a wooden birthday calendar for my family. I had an idea of what I wanted it to look like so I went to Hobby Lobby and found the parts. There wasn't a pre-made kit or anything so I looked through the wood section until I found a good bass and little round wood cookies for the people's names. Then I went to the jewelry making section to find rings and hooks to attach everything together.

The first step was to get it all painted:

I used normal wood acrylic paint and painted the girls circles red and the boys blue. Then I did a dry brush of white over everything.

The next step was putting the months onto the base:

I used a normal sharpie pen to write them in:

After that was done I packed up everything and brought it over to my parents house. They have all the handy wood drills and hammers and stuff. And they were kind enough to drill holes into my little wood circles:

On the front side of the circles I put everyone's name and birthday. On the backs I put their birth year.

The next step was screwing in the eye hooks to the bass:


Then using the rings I got I attached all the circles into a chain under the correct month and this was the results:

(One slight fix I need to make though, my birthday and my older brother's birthday are in February not March) But other than that, it turned out pretty good. And it was pretty easy to make. Now I have no excuse for missing someone's birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment