Sunday, September 29, 2013

Good Books - An Acceptable Time

So it has been a really busy weekend for me and I will have fun blogging about it for the rest of the week but first I wanted to be sure to post this weeks Good Books pick. I was looking through my books this past week trying to decide which one to choose and I came across this one. A flood of memories come back whenever I look at this book cover. This week's book is "An Acceptable Time" by Madeleine L'Engle:

This author is most famous for her works: "A Wrinkle in Time", "A Wind in the Door", "A Swiftly Tilting Planet", and "Many Waters".
But out of all of these "An Acceptable Time" is the one I've picked up to read over and over again. It is kind of a fifth book to the "Wrinkle in Time" (adventures with the Murry Family) series but instead of this being about the Murry children it is about Mr and Mrs Murry's granddaughter Polly, who comes to live with them. She is the oldest daughter of Meg and Calvin O'Keefe, and she comes to stay with her grandparents in the New England area to study with them. Both of them are renowned scientists. Polly herself is very smart and has been mostly home taught by her parents on an island off the coast of the Carolinas.
She thinks her time with her grandparents will be filled with study and mundane life but all that changes with the appearance of a stray dog and some strange encounters with a traditionally dressed Native American girl that visits Polly at her grandparents new indoor lap pool. They had had the pool installed for her grandfather's health. But when they were dinging the hole for the pool they discovered an underground river.
Some of the Murry's friends tell Polly about the Ogham stones they have found around the neighborhood. Ogham stones are stones that the ancient Celts of northern Europe wrote on. They used an alphabet consisting of lines.

Which leads everyone to ponder the idea that some of the Celts had migrated to the Americas thousands of years ago and had lived with the natives, leaving behind their stones.
Then things get strange when Polly and a couple of her friends are transported 3,000 years into the past, where they meet Druids and natives living together. And where they find Standing Stones on the same spot that the Murry home will be built.
Polly has to find out why they were taken into the past, and has to figure out how to get them home again.

I think it was because of this book that I decided to studied History in college and where I fell in love with the Celtic lore. This is a fun easy read that just adds enough sciency stuff to make it interesting but not too boring. If you have read "A Wrinkle in Time" and the books that follow, you will love this one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment