On the morning of Sept 11th, 2001, Tina and I were awoken at around 6:30 am by a loud banging on our dorm room door. Tina's bed was closest to the door so she opened it to see who it was. We were surprised to see my good friend Mel standing there in her night gown with her cell phone to her ear.
She pointed most anxiously at me and my laptop and almost shouted, "Get on the internet! The US is under attack!" She was on the phone with her mother, who lived in Idaho Falls, ID. Who had called to tell her what was happening in New York City.
I jumped to my computer and looked for the news. As I was pulling it up Tina made the comment "Who would attack the United States? I know China wouldn't. That's crazy."
I easily found the news story and tried to call my family, finally getting through on collect. I then heard about the plane crash into the Pentagon. My Uncle worked there, but my Dad told me he wasn't there at the time.
After a rather frightening wake up, I made my way to work. I had a job at the cafeteria accounting office, it was my day to open up.
I made the mistake of not turning off the safe alarm so when I tried to open it, all the bells and whistles went off. Luckily my Accounting head was understanding. All day I listened to very patriotic songs being played over the radio.
When I finally got back to my dorm, I glued myself to the TV in the dorm lounge along with fifty or so other people. Everyone whispering about Pearl Harbor and end of the world stuff.
It made me really think about what people must have felt during the invasion of Pearl Harbor. I had got to go there just a few months prior. It had made me really appreciate our country.
I hope we never forget Sept. 11 and Dec 7, two most memorable dates in our countries history.





No comments:
Post a Comment